Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

First Monday Without a Colon

Hi, everybody!

Yesterday was a better day physically, but a little tougher emotionally. I hadn't slept for more than two hours in a row since surgery, and that plus being on steroids (oh yeah, and maybe the whole major surgery thing, too) started to take its toll on me. There was much messing with tubes and drains and IVs yesterday when all I wanted to do was hang out with family. I got rather worn out and frazzled with all the poking and prodding and lack of privacy. Fortunately, my lovely mom comforted me, things settled down, and I enjoyed seeing some great people yesterday! Thanks so much to everyone who stopped by.

Yesterday my surgeon came by and talked with my parents (Joseph and I were off exploring the pretty fall weather - wasn't it nice outside?). Hopefully I can go home in the next few days. I will spend two weeks at home resting and recovering, then I will have a follow-up appointment to see how I'm doing!

Please pray for wisdom for me to know what I should do about school -- should I do absolutely nothing for these next few weeks and just rest? Should I drop out for the semester? Or should I try to keep up with homework as best I can? I don't want to do too much, and jeopardize my recovery, but I don't want to do nothing, then try to abruptly jump all the way back into school and life. I don't want to make a choice because it's the easy way out, but I don't want to make a foolish choice out of stubbornness, either. God will guide my steps and hopefully will help my parents, doctors, and professors give me sound advice.

Today the plan is to decrease some of the pain meds to see if I can progress to being hooked up to less stuff! That would be nice. I'd still welcome visitors -- if you can, perhaps try to call and make sure I'm available when you want to come visit!

This morning, one of the wonderful doctors who took great care of me on Friday night when I was in so much pain came by. They are still not really sure what caused the pain. The current thought is that I have peritonitis -- that the lining of my abdominal cavity is inflamed -- and that a drainage tube was suctioning on the very irritated lining. The tube was removed on Saturday morning, which has dramatically decreased the pain. I still have pain and tenderness in my abdomen, so they seem to think there's still some degree of peritonitis going on. Hopefully it continues to heal up and not cause further problems.

Thanks again for all the prayers, cards, meals to my dear family, visits, etc. They are much appreciated. Your love and support is just amazing and a huge encouragement to us. My goal is still that God will be honored through this hospital stay and my recovery. I am also so very thankful for my dear family's help over the last few days when I've been feeling so poorly. They are just fantastic, and God's love and presence and selflessness have truly been palpable at times.

Hannah ;)

5 comments:

  1. Hello Hannah,
    I was thrilled to see that you felt like posting again. We were so sorry to hear of your painful times starting Friday p.m. So glad you have such good doctors and we will pray for their continued wisdom in your particular medical case and all of the details. So glad you were able to enjoy some of this beautiful weather with Joseph. It HAS been gorgeous for sure. We are praying continually for you and know that our Lord and Savior has you "in the palm of His Hand"... Take care and blessings to you. Love always,Mrs. Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our house, we believe that a person on steroids should seek the counsel of other family members before making major decisions. :-)

    A nice verse is: "Be still, and know that I am God."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hannah!
    John and I have been fervently praying for a speedy recovery! We feel out of the loop having been away for so long but appreciate you giving the blog to my mom so we could pray and keep up with you!
    I am glad to see that your pain has subsided and that your doctors are taking good care of you!

    John and Felicia Hartgraves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hannah,

    Jason and I are praying for you and your recovery.

    May the Lord bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, and give you peace... even while locked up in a hospital... especially while locked up in a hospital. Mmmm, may His face shine upon you... I pray that His presence will be felt in that way. I think of the warm sun on my face on a cool fall day. May His warm, everlasting love envelop you.

    Love you,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hannah!
    I'm not as computer savvy on the ole blogger spot, so every time I check it I have to go through my History, find Semi Colon, click on the post, which of course is the one I've already read), start reading it, remember I've already read that one, find the new updated blog, and click that one, try to post a comment, remember I haven't logged in yet, try to remember my password, type in my favorite passwords hoping one will match, and then finally give up! ha ha LOL I just thought I'd let you know how SPECIAL you are because every time Jimmy asks me if I've heard an update, I run in here and repeat this aforementioned process. (You know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different outcome.) Yes, I will blame it on old age!!!! Or maybe just a little scatterbrained, which I can't blame on age, as your parents can confirm!

    Anyway, we are praying for you and enjoy sooo much reading your hilarious posts! You sure have a way with words that is uplifting and encouraging--I thank the Lord for your wonderful testimony. And I would be willing to bet (if I were the betting kind, though I'm not) that your docs and nurses are quite enamored by your infectious personality and wonderful sense of humor and clever wit, especially in the midst of all your pain and discomfort.

    So are you really serious about going to Med School and taking the MCAT? We have a friend who just became a DO, so that is very exciting. What specialty?

    Rest up that brain of yours (and the other parts, too). And give your parents a big hug from the Links.

    Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle. Psalm 103:1-5

    Love,
    Bonnie (and all the Links)

    ReplyDelete