Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Go Horned Frogs!!

I think the higher dose of steroids is starting to kick in. I am starting to feel less like I got run over by a train. Friday, I went to classes (okay, actually, I just had ONE class! The rest got canceled!), turned in two assignments, made up a test, talked to a professor, bought groceries, walked home, and then felt like I had been run over by a bus. This is quite an improvement. Everything still goes black when I sit up or stand up (in case you are reading this, don't worry, mom, I'm standing up very slowly and I'm not holding my breath) and my heart is still kinda racing, but I am much more functional and feel more energetic, which is fantastic. Saturday and today have been even better.

I know the higher dose of steroids has kicked in for another reason: the midnight munchies. Both Friday and yesterday, I was not really hungry and felt sick to my stomach all day, probably from the kidney infection or antibiotics, so I wasn't able to eat much. Then right before bed, I was suddenly starving for the weirdest things. Pretzels, peanut butter, chocolate, apple, and scrambled eggs later... haha midnight munchies. If I start inflating, don't judge me. ;)

I'm also having some issues with my J pouch - just feels like it's spasming a lot. It will be interesting to see what the surgeon thinks about that on Tuesday. It's rather uncomfortable, but hopefully this is just an adjustment period and my body will soon get used to everything being all moved around and stuff.

On Friday, I called the doctor and asked when I should start feeling better from the kidney infection. Apparently, several days ago. Oops. Since I'm not feeling better, he decided to change my antibiotics to something stronger. Hopefully that will do the trick. So far, I feel about the same, but I am still fever-free, which is a good sign. Still doin' yogurt, cranberry juice, lots of fluids, baking soda baths, etc. to try to kill this infection.

When I picked up the prescription, the pharmacist said he'd missed me for the last month, so he asked my doctor where I'd been, and found out that I'd had surgery. He is a fantastic guy, so nice. I've missed him, too! We became quite close when I first got diagnosed and had to take 12 pills a day of this medicine he had to special order. It came in bottles of 100, so I had call in once a week so he could special order it. This was in addition to the million other meds I was on at the time. Ya know those big weekly pill containers with a spot for each day? I used to fill up FOUR different ones, for morning, afternoon, evening, and bedtime pills, and still couldn't close the lids on the little things 'cause they were so full of pills. Frank was the lucky guy who got to fill and refill all those prescriptions. He always gives me a special smile. I'll never forget the time I had to pick up a gallon of prep for a scope, and he couldn't fit it through the little slot, so I had to go around back. Good times.

Anyways, he wanted to know how I was doing after surgery and was very very sad for me that I have to be on steroids for so long - my GI called in that prescription. I told him I was sad about that, too, but was feeling so much better overall, so no complaints! This is probably the first time in ages I've been there NOT filling a prescription for pain medicine. Steps in the right direction.

My happy news is this: GO HORNED FROGS!!! What a game! TCU beat Utah last night. I felt good enough to go to the game, which involved standing for hours, jumping up and down and storming the field at the end... it was a great game and a fantastic night. I got pretty lightheaded by the third quarter, and felt lousy all last night after the game because I probably overdid it, but I can't even describe how good it felt to get out of the house and just be a normal college kid yelling for my team at a football game. This sounds weird, but crowded events like that just weren't possible or created a TON of anxiety for me when I had UC. I needed to sit really close to an exit so I could dash to the bathroom every so often, praying I made it in time and that there was no line. Last night, it would have taken me about 20 minutes to get out of the stands and to a bathroom, and the lines were unbelievably long, but it was no issue whatsoever since I no longer have UC!!! Yay for Squirt. ;)

Also, I was able to go to church tonight. It was fantastic to get to worship and fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ. God is so good.

A few prayer requests:
  • Please continue to pray for my family -- they are still pretty concerned about me. Pray that they will be able to just rest in God's peace and that any worry or sadness would be replaced with joy and faith! Also, my brothers both have a cold... no fun. Pray that they will heal up fast!
  • That this kidney infection would go away quickly without causing any more problems.
  • For the J pouch to not be so uncomfortable or for me to get used to it.
  • Praise God that I am feeling much more functional and that the increased steroid dosage is helping! What a blessing to be able to just live life. Pray that God will give me grace to deal with being on steroids for a few more months.
  • Praise God for the encouragement He provides through others who love Him from all over the planet. To each one of you - I am so sincerely thankful for your prayers and encouragement. I wish you knew how much it means to me and my family!
Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment