So.. I've been thinking a lot since Tuesday about having the second surgery. Because of the infection and steroids (I think), the earliest Dr. A would consider operating again would be in January. Originally, he had told me I could have the take-down surgery 6-8 weeks after surgery #1. But we didn't really anticipate the problems I've had post-op. I think all these problems are related to how sick I was before surgery, and due to the steroids suppressing my immune system and my body's ability to heal itself.
I think I want to wait until after graduation in May to have it. I emailed Dr. A to ask about it, and his PA emailed me right back. She said that waiting is just fine. I didn't know if the um, plumbing and stuff that I have now would "last" that long, since it is designed to be temporary. But, apparently, Squirt and the unattached J pouch will be just fine until surgery in May.
I have a few reasons for wanting to wait until May. First of all, there's the whole missing school thing - probably 3-5 days in the hospital and 4-5 days at home. Then I can start doing stuff, but the reality is, according to Dr. A, that I will probably be living in the bathroom and dealing with dehydration, making school tough to impossible for a while. All this will settle down in three months. I don't really want to miss ten days of school, then possibly be in and out for three months. Been there, done that. Don't want to do it again.
I have some other reasons for waiting, too. Right now, I'm enjoying so much being healthy again that it would be very hard for me, emotionally, to go back to being an invalid and living in the bathroom, although it would be temporary. I know that it is just a stage I'll have to go through, but I don't want to do it now. Maybe I'm just being immature and avoiding the inevitable, but I just got off that ride, and I'd rather wait a few months before going on it again. I want to enjoy my last (Lord willing) semester of college as a healthy kid, not someone recovering from surgery and learning to deal with having only half of a digestive system. Being "normal" is so great right now. I can't even describe it. It's great.
Finally, I think it would be best to give my body more time to get healthy. I didn't get sick overnight, and I'm not going to have a healthy, strong body again overnight, either. Waiting until May will give me more time to get the steroids out of my system and get stronger.
I would ask that you pray for my body to fight off the kidney infection. I am not feeling very good, and I think that's why. I was feeling so bad that I didn't even go to classes this morning. Hopefully my body will rally and beat it! I've had this infection for three weeks, and today I feel like it's getting worse again. I'm sure I just need to wait and rest and it will get better. I just feel silly that I still have it. I'm supposed to be better, duh! My body didn't get the memo, I guess. ;) It's trying, though. Thanks!