Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 By The Numbers

231 Consecutive days of keeping my New Year's Resolution (no hospital visits)
21 Days I spent in the hospital this year after breaking said resolution (not too bad, tho!)
7 Remicade infusions
80/45 Lowest blood pressure during an infusion
18 Day of July when I began my LAST UC flare
4 Times a day I had to go to the bathroom on a good day when I wasn't flaring
20 Times I went to the bathroom on a bad day
93 Days on steroids
14 Day of October when I had my surgery, ending my LAST UC flare
6 Feet of intestine Dr. A removed
4-6 Weeks I was told to expect to be out of school for recovery from surgery
2.5 Weeks I was actually out of school after surgery
0 Days of work I missed this summer (I'm very proud of this)
7 Weeks of school missed (not so proud of this)
3 Quarts of ice cream I consumed in the first month after I went back to school
50 Apples I estimate I've eaten since surgery
20 Pounds I lost this year
10 Pounds I've gained back
286 Nights I slept curled in the fetal position with my heating pad
0 Nights I've slept with my heating pad since surgery
7 Doctors currently treating me

Innumerable:

CT Scans, X-Rays, blood draws, pills, doctor's appointments, sleepless nights, rolls of toilet paper (lol), bottles of gatorade, failed IV start attempts, days when I ate less than 500 calories, times I did NOT go to the hospital (although advised to), cards I got after surgery, times friends and family have dropped everything to be there for me, spiritual lessons God has taught me.

As you can see, it's been a year of ups and downs. While I have learned so much, I admit I wasn't terribly sad to say farewell to 2009.

I have no idea what 2010 will bring. Here is what I think may happen: I hope to graduate from TCU in May, have my second surgery, and get a job before my insurance runs out in August, take Organic Chemistry II this coming fall and study for the MCAT. But all this could (and probably will) change. Maybe even by tomorrow. I am just a vapor that is here for a little while, then vanishes. If the Lord wills, I will live, and also do these things.

Most importantly, I hope I grow to be more like Jesus this year. I am not so much about accomplishing earthly goals like graduation and a specific career. I would much rather just follow where God leads me. If He leads me away from the path I'm currently on, I'm okay with that. This year has taught me submission and brokenness and humility and trust and a willingness to obey and follow. His way is always best.

Thanks for all your encouragement, and sorry for all my grouchiness lately.

Hannah ;)

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Here's to MUCH better health in 2010!

    ReplyDelete