Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thoughts

I've been thinking a lot about what I'm willing to do... how far I'm willing to go to keep Twitchy... here are my thoughts:

I think I want to try anything and everything to avoid surgery and keep the J pouch until I graduate in May. I'll try antibiotics, immunosuppressants, biologics, whatever (although if I have to go up on steroids, I will be incredibly irritated, lol). I have 13 weeks left in college, and I simply want to finish. I just need a new plan so I can deal with it for those 13 weeks.

After I graduate, then I can make the long-term decision. I can decide if I want the J pouch out and have a permanent ileostomy, or I can try out the reconnection surgery. Of course, this all depends on what the doctors are willing to do and how Twitchy responds to meds and time.

From what I've been reading, there are two theories: one is that "reattaching" my guts to the J pouch would actually help to heal Twitchy by giving him more nutrients. The other is that reattaching me would make him worse by introducing more bacteria and foods to the already inflamed tissue. From online discussion boards, I've seen stories on both sides about people who had pouchitis, then the second surgery. Some got better once reconnected, some stayed sick with pouchitis. The disadvantage to being reconnected with pouchitis is that it makes you systemically sick, not just in the pouch. I would basically feel like I had UC and probably have a harder time with food again.

I'm so happy to have a snow day!! I had a test today - so now it's postponed, yay! Now I can catch up/get ahead/work on finishing my Biochem incomplete. God is so good. And I slept last night (read: drug induced coma, but hey, that counts!!). Today, Twitchy is calmer and hurting less, thank God. Also, since yesterday, my joints are a lot less swollen and stiff! Praying that the antibiotics are kicking in! Pardon me, I'm off to play in the snow... ;)

Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment