Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

Chillin' in 456

Back at my home away from home. Looks like I'll be here at least through tomorrow (GI Dr lied! He said just 24 hours! He always lies a little to get me to come in...). But all the staff comes in to say hi, 'cause they all know me, since I'm a "repeat offender" according to my Tech!!

My scopes went well yesterday (I was totally asleep this time, thank goodness) and everything looked good, which is fantastic news. The biopsy results will be in in a few days, so hopefully they look healthy, too. These scopes were to make sure that my stomach and upper small intestine are not inflamed or being attacked by my ADHD immune system. This would be extremely bad news, so please give thanks that everything looked good and pray that the biopsies are unremarkable.

I also met with Urology doc yesterday. He was a cute little old French guy who authored all the textbooks festooning his office shelves. His accent was awesome: "Zeez com-poo-tares are nut wurkinnnnng!" He was very kind, and really encouraged me to stick out the pre-med stuff and go to med school. He told me it's a noble calling, and I should do it. He seemed very genuinely concerned about me and said he'd be praying for me while I'm in the hospital. So sweet. ;) The overall assessment is that I'm still having some bladder issues, but they are quite manageable when I take the meds, and we aren't losing anything by just watching and waiting. I need more testing and possibly eventually a small surgery, but we can wait several months before doing that. He believes (and I couldn't agree more) that this is a pretty low priority right now. Gotta get all this other crazy stuff under control first.

Last night I had one of my little shaky/out of it episodes in the hospital, so the doctor got to see what's going on, which I guess is good, although I felt pretty awful all night as a result. They ran a bunch of tests and ruled out a lot of bad things, but no workable answer yet. My vital signs continue to indicate that I need those IV fluids, so they want to keep me here hooked to my pole (name forthcoming) until they find some answers.

The doctor will be disappointed with one thing: she wanted to do a CT of my head. "Hopefully nothing's there," she said. Unfortunately, I have let her down - my CT revealed my gigantic brain, I'm sure. ;)

Talked for a long time with GI doctor today. The plan for Twitchy is to try an antibiotic cocktail to help with the inflammation, and add another drug for nerve pain to help with the symptoms. If the inflammation and bleeding doesn't stop after 3 days, then I will trade the antibiotics for biologic treatment (similar to Remicade, the treatments I used to do). The hope with the biologic stuff is that it could help systemically with the fevers, "feeling blah," arthritis, etc. in addition to helping Twitchy heal up. GI Dr and Dr. A still really want to try the second surgery, but I don't want to do that until I graduate in early May. Also, they cannot unequivocally state that the inflammation won't spread up my GI system once I'm "reattached," which would be no bueno. So we're hoping that something will work between now and then to get the inflammation down.

So I'm just chillin' in the meantime! Not feeling great, but hanging in there! Studying for the tests I need to make up on Monday. And enjoying the basket of yummy stuff my mommy just brought! I'm actually hungry today, and my orders are to "eat and drink as much as possible," so she brought me candy... yum. Easter candy and chocolate is my FAVORITE. What a great mom. Feel free to call/email/msg/stop in and visit if you want!

I'd really appreciate your continued prayers for me and the family. My GI doctor said today that I'm kind of a mystery. I'm praying that God's peace would radiate from me and be a bright light to my slightly discouraged doctors.

Keep Julia in your prayers as she continues to recover from her surgery! Also Lisa, as she is dealing with some pain still - thankfully, things are going much better for her! And for Steph, who is still in that yucky adjustment period with her J pouch - it takes the body a few months to adapt. In the meantime, she's dealing with some misery.

Hannah ;)

3 comments:

  1. Hannah -
    We are praying. Verily, verily, we are praying. I am running a fever, so can't come to see you, and was musing to your mom about what I might do to encourage you. She suggested I tell you a joke, so here are some of my favorites that I have heard lately. Don't read them if it hurts to laugh, but be sure to catch the last paragraph.

    My grandfather is hard of hearing so he has to read lips, which I don't mind so much, I just wish he didn't use that yellow highlighter.

    Why did the farmer put 2 doors into his chicken coop? Because if he put 4 doors, it would be a chicken sedan.

    Did you hear about the mechanic who was addicted to brake fluid? He said it was no problem -- he could stop any time.

    What do you call a doctor who graduated at the bottom of his class? A doctor.

    The statistician lay with his head in the oven and his feet on ice. He said on average he felt fine.

    Did you hear about the paranoid dyslexic? He always thought he was following someone.

    Is it true that an alligator won't attack you if you carry a flashlight?
    Depends on how fast you carry the flashlight.

    This is no joke - you are in our prayers and in God's hands. In Him, Daryl Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED these! Thanks so much! I am praying for a speedy recovery for you - I don't want to hear about you getting pneumonia or anything like that! My advice: Rest up and lots of chicken soup, tea, gatorade, Sonic Slushes, etc. And some Psalms and Romans 5 and some good music for the soul.

    ReplyDelete