Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Shameless Plug

Hi everybody,

First, an update... I have happy news (I know, it's been a while since I've posted happy news... so sorry)! I've been having better days lately. Whether the IV roids helped (they sure make my face look chubby...) or the Humira is kicking in, I don't know, but I'm excited! My stomach is NOT HURTING! And I'm hungry! And when I eat and drink, my stomach is WORKING! Also, been off nausea meds for four days! Twitchy is doing about the same, but not getting worse, even though I'm tapering off the meds I've been taking for him. My joints are getting less stiff! I slept through the night last night for the first time in... I don't remember how long! I'm still having to take a TON of pain meds... but they are, for the most part, keeping my pain at a level that's tolerable! I continue to struggle with Squirt and with getting shaky and having my heart race, but overall, I no longer feel like death, which is the BEST FEELING EVER! I also have had a ton of encouragement from a lot of different folks, which means so very much to me - so thank you all!!

Today I have a special request (okay, a shameless plug)...

A few weeks ago, I spoke with Bryan Kervin, a TCU alum who has UC. He played baseball in the Toronto Blue Jays program before becoming severely ill with UC. After an emergency colectomy, he suffered many complications that nearly cost his life, and he's currently chilling in the hospital recovering from a second surgery. He began a foundation called Rise and Conquer, which is dedicated to helping others who have IBD, a group of diseases that incorporates UC and Crohn's.

I asked him how I could help, and Bryan challenged me to raise $500 for the CCFA through Take Steps, a 5K walk/run on May 23 to raise money for CCFA, the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. This is a free event, but it's encouraged to donate $20 - all the profits go towards both research to find better treatments for Crohn's and UC as well as towards scholarships to send kids with these diseases to camp.

I'm gonna get out there on my arthritic joints and limp a 5K for this worthy cause. If you're in the Dallas area, I would be thrilled if you would show your support and join me! If you're not able to come, you can make a donation in my name through the link on the Rise and Conquer or Take Steps website! I know it's short notice, but would you please consider if this is a way God might use you to make a difference? It would mean a lot to me to make something good come out of this and help others who are living with these diseases.

Here's a link to Bryan's website - click on the "Take Steps" logo on the bottom right for event details, to register or to donate. You can join the Rise and Conquer team there online.

http://www.riseandconquer.org/

And... here's a note from Bryan:

"Hello Everyone,

Rise and Conquer is a foundation I started to help towards the research of Crohn's and Colitis.My goal is to also create scholarships for Camp Oasis (a Crohns and Colitis Camp for ages 7-17) to children that need financial help. This camp is put on by the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America and is $1200-1500 per kid.

Our first event for our foundation will be on May 23, 2010. We will be forming a team called Rise and Conquer for the Take Steps walk put on by CCFA. We are asking you to join our team and help conquer Crohn's and Colitis! The 5k walk/run will be at Reverchon Park in Dallas, Texas at 5PM. We will be accepting donations for CCFA and the Oasis camp and you can buy a team shirt for $25.00. (it is a black dri- fit shirt with the rise and conquer logo on it, very sharp). Or you can just show up and enjoy the festivities to help support the fight against Crohns and Colitis. Our goal is to raise at least $2000.00 at this event for CCFA.

Also you can check out our website at: www.riseandconquer.org for more events and information that we will be doing to RISE up and CONQUER Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. If you cant make this event than there are many more events on our website. Hope to find this e-mail doing you well and have a blessed day!

Bryan Kervin
CEO- Rise and Conquer
kervin.riseandconquer@gmail.com
(817) 480-6096

Please make checks out to: Rise and Conquer or go to www.riseandconquer.org for the link to donate online

You can bring the checks to the walk or mail to Bryan Kervin 1416 Clearwater Ct Graoevine Texas 76051"

Thanks so much for your support, and please let me know if you are interested in participating or donating!

And thanks for reading that long commercial! ;)

Hannah ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hannah!!!! I feel like I've been so busy lately that I haven't kept up with you as much as I would like but, I haven't been able to sleep well lately, so I figured I'd check on you. I am SO VERY happy to hear that you are doing a little better. A feeling like this has to give you so much encouragement and hope for what's to come. I continue to pray for your recovery and hope you keep getting better and better!

    PS My husband might have to attend a training session in either Dallas or San Diego for his new job so if he goes to Dallas, I might have the chance to meet up. Fingers Crossed!

    ReplyDelete