Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Resetting the "Hospital Free Days" Counter Back to 0

Well, it was a great run - no hospital since May. Then last night, I wound up in the ER. Oops. Yesterday evening, I was doing okay-ish, still shaky and stuff, but okay. Then I tried to stand up. It didn't go over so well. I had promised the endocrine doctor that I'd go to the ER if I got worse, and GI doctor had just lectured me on not allowing myself to get overly dehydrated, so... it was time. My stomach also started killing while I was there, so I also got some lovely shots of pain and nausea meds. My head felt much less "fuzzy" after some fluids, and I told the doctor that I was okay, so I got to go home.

I had also promised to call the endocrine doctor in the morning. Our phone conversation was frustrating. She is totally at a loss for what might be causing me to have these episodes. She suggested doing some tests, but they're ones we've already run. She just kept saying, "There's no way that this is an endocrine problem." She said maybe it was just dehydration, but I had been even more dehydrated last week without having shakiness or sweating. Unfortunately, she is out of ideas for what it might be. When I asked her for suggestions on what to do if I have another episode, she told me that I need to call her earlier in the day (I called about 4 pm yesterday) so that she could see me and give me fluids in the clinic. I told her that I'd be sure to time my symptoms with office hours in the future. ;)

Today I also had my Pain Dr appointment. I was sorely disappointed... they were running behind, so instead of seeing Jack Black, I got seen by his associate, Skinny Guy. He was very nice, but I would much rather see a doctor I know. Things are actually going better in the pain management department these days. I've been able to back down to a lower dosage of my "sleepy medicine" at night, and I'm still sleeping well! I'd love to get off it entirely, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. The muscle relaxants we added last month have helped the muscle pain tremendously, and the joints are becoming less inflamed (from my Superwoman shots, I think), and therefore less painful. Overall, most days, the joint and muscle pain is under better control. Unfortunately, my stomach and J pouch have been a lot worse lately, but I can deal with it.

I'm feeling better since the fluids, which is great. My stomach is so confused right now. After a week or so of not emptying, today it started dumping. I just don't understand! It's crazy! There's no logical explanation for that at all. But it calmed down eventually, and at least I'm hungry again, so I've been eating! And of course, I bragged about how good my joints were doing, so they started acting up this afternoon. They're the most stiff and achey they've been in quite a while, and even breathing hurts a lot. I took my big-gun magic anti-inflammatory pills a little while ago... hopefully that will cut down the swelling and pain a bit.

Please pray that I will be able to stay hydrated at home! Please pray for wisdom for my family and I to know the best courses of action - for the little day-to-day decisions and also for the big decisions. My doctors are frustrated and at a loss... and so are we.

Hannah ;)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Hannah--- I am PRAYING, PRAYING, and PRAYING some more! I have you listed under my Writing Blog links. Boy, The writers who click on "semi colon" must be surprised when they see that it has nothing to do with writing! Your blog is a testimony to God's sustaining grace from a young woman who is very open and honest about her struggles and suffering.
    Looking to Him
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much for your encouragement!! Hehe... pooooor innocent people! Beware of dangerous links! That makes me laugh to think about.
    My mom has told me a lot about you, and I would love to meet you some day.
    Ironically, I've always wanted to be a writer, but writing about, um, this stuff was NOT exactly what I had in mind. ;)
    Hannah ;)

    ReplyDelete