Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

GI Doctor Saves The Day

So, GI doctor was as good as his word, and met with me today after my ultrasounds. He took my scans to two different head radiologists and had them comment on the CTs.

The good news is... I do NOT have part of Twitchy left inside of me!!! This is EXCELLENT news.

The bad news is... they are pretty sure I have a fistula - something connecting stuff that's not supposed to be connected. This is probably the cause of my passing blood, although we are still not exactly sure what the source of the blood is. There is also a slight chance that I have a tiny bit of pouch or mucosa that has UC or pouchitis, and this could be causing the blood.

So, GI doctor looked me in the eye and said, "I think that all us doctors have been passing you around and not actually taking responsibility to address your problems. I will be that doctor. I will be responsible for figuring out and managing this problem. Is that okay?"

Is that okay? GI doctor, where have you BEEN for the last three months as I've been trying to get answers? I am relieved that finally someone is willing to actually approach and try to fix my "issues." I am just slightly irritated that it has taken this long for one of my doctors to take the reigns.

So, I get to have a very very cool cutting edge test done... an MRI of the intestines! There are only two other machines with this capability in North America - one's at Mayo, the other's in Vancouver or something, I believe. Usually, when you get an MRI, you have to lay there for an hour. It's very slow. But it shows great detail of muscles and tissues. Unfortunately, it's totally worthless for your intestines, because you can't get them to sit still for an hour! ;) So all that shows up on a standard MRI is a blur where your guts are. Enter this new cool MRI machine... (drumroll, please)... it somehow (I don't understand how exactly) can capture images of your intestines. This is very useful in patients like me. And there's not radiation like from a CT scan. So it's a very cool thing, and hopefully this test will define what exactly is going on in my lower abdomen. Because if not, they are going to try to scope me where no scope has ever gone before. Don't worry; I'll request anesthesia for that one. ;)

Also... I am getting referred to a dietician. GI doctor was like the dozen-eth person to tell me I look too thin. Hopefully she will have some good ideas! It would be great to figure out what I can and should be eating and how much I need to get to my "healthy" weight again.

Finally, the day concluded with a call from ID PA. My ultrasounds were clear again! I figured so, cause I've been feeling better. So I am now officially OFF antibiotics!! Hurrah! I am so not a fan of antibiotics. Feels good to take 4 fewer pills per day. ;) He called to remind me that I have to follow up with him ONE MORE TIME. Then, hopefully, he will release me back into the wild.

Hannah ;)

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic to read! Sorry it's like 3 days late. I'm at a tournament and don't have internet! How do I survive? :) I'm so happy to hear the GI Doc will take responsibility. I know you've been waiting like forever to hear someone say that to you and actually do it! SO SO happy. I hope things continue to go in the right direction and they will continue to take care of you! LOve you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Answered prayers, indeed!!!

    Those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
    They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.
    Isaiah 40:31

    ReplyDelete