Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Post Op Roller Coaster

Day one post op was pretty good... I felt awesome in the morning and walked a million laps. I'm a little sore from the surgery, but the only thing that really hurts is my poor bladder. After all that walking, my tummy started rebelling, bladder started spasming, and I was a bit miserable. Dr. Saturday told me to slow it down. So I did.

My tummy was working backwards, so I didn't really feel up to food, but the dietitian asked me if there was anything at all that sounded good... I asked her for a strawberry smoothie! She came in grinning an hour later... holding a giant smoothie! They don't actually make smoothies in the hospital... but Starbucks does, so they bought a smoothie especially for me! See how spoiled I am?? Plus, it was delicious!

I felt good again in the evening, and actually felt hungry! I ate some chicken and chocolate! Unfortunately, I had a very rough night... very sick to my stomach, Squirt was dumping, bladder was spasming... I was super miserable. But I have the most wonderful night nurse in the whole world, Martin, who took excellent care of me. This morning, was still feeling the same, plus, I started getting lightheaded and had a high heart rate. Dr. Saturday told me to lay low... no walking today. I was basically totally miserable and out of it until this afternoon, but I'm starting to perk up now!

One thing I was super worried about was pain control... as you know, I have had very serious pain issues with my other surgeries. Thankfully, it has been SO MUCH BETTER this time around. I'm pretty uncomfortable, but nowhere NEAR the extreme pain I experienced with my other surgeries. What a blessing and an answer to prayer.

So right now, the plan is to work towards getting home by Sunday! I will be taking my PICC line home as a souvenir of my stay! Actually, it will stay in and I will have to do antibiotics at home through the line for 2-3 weeks. That's kind of a bummer, but it's what the doctors think needs to happen to give me the best chance possible to beat these abscesses and heal up. It's also better than staying in the hospital for antibiotics! I tried to pin Dr. Saturday down on if I get my drain out before I go home and exactly how long the PICC stays in... I got a bunch of "maybes" and "oh, coupla weeks." Then he grinned and told me that doctors have to take a whole class on vague answers. Funny, but unhelpful. ;)

Please pray that I will make progress in the right direction... pray for patience and that I won't overdo it... pray that my body will heal and beat these abscesses.

God has brought some of my favorite verses to mind again and again over the past few days, from Psalm 63.

"Because your lovingkindess is better than life, my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth offers praises with joyful lips.
When I remember you on my bed, I meditate on you in the night watches,
For you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings, I sing for joy.
My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."

It seems as though God wrote these words just especially for me, for this situation. I'm not eating much, but my soul is filled with Him. I can't sleep much, but my mind is full of His praises. He is my help, my rest, my joy, my God who holds me up as I cling to Him.

Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment