Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

ER and Wound Care

Well, what I neglected to mention in my last post was that I've been feeling rather awful since I got home from the hospital... super tired, very lightheaded, heart racing. At the wound clinic, my blood pressure was extremely low. I tried to drink a lot, but then I started dumping... I just got behind on my fluids, and I couldn't catch up, because my stomach decided to quit absorbing anything I drank. I talked to Endo Doc on Friday, and she told me to double up on steroids for a couple of days. If that failed, I was supposed to go to the ER for fluids. I don't really think steroids were the issue. When I am low on steroids, I have ridiculous salt cravings and I get really shaky, two symptoms I did not have this weekend. But I figured it was worth a shot!

Unfortunately, by Sunday, I still felt pretty awful, so to the ER we went. I felt tremendously better after I got "topped off" with some fluids, as my awesome nurse Mark put it. My white count is back up again, after having gone down to the lowest it's been in recent history. That's disappointing and a bit concerning, so per the ER doc's instructions, I placed a call to Dr. Saturday to see what he wants to do - probably more antibiotics.

My tummy is still dumping, which makes staying hydrated quite a challenge for me. And it's annoying because I have to empty Squirt's bag every hour. I'm working hard at pushing the fluids! Thankfully, I've been doing pretty well otherwise - my muscle pain has been mostly under control, and my joints are really doing fantastic! I've also been able to eat, mostly, despite the dumping, which is very good and exciting!

I had another wound change today. We tried out a local rehab clinic. Unfortunately, they don't quite have the resources or experience that the downtown wound clinic offers... and they only have male wound care people. I wasn't at all comfortable with the situation. So we've decided to bite the bullet and commute to the downtown hospital three days a week, on top of my school schedule that has me at the complete opposite end of the metroplex. This is a major bummer, but I think the drive will be worth it to get really good care delivered in a slightly more comfortable setting. The guy at the clinic did take a picture of my wound so I could see it (the photo was subsequently deleted, per my wishes). Boy howdy. It is gaping and bigger and uglier and far more graphic than I had imagined, and trust me, I have a pretty vivid imagination. I now understand why it's going to take so long to heal. It's amazing to me that God created our bodies so that they can heal even from massive injury and illness... He is amazing!

Please pray that my stomach will settle down so that I'll stay hydrated!
Please pray for wisdom for Dr. Saturday to decide what's best to do!
Please pray for my attitude, especially with the wound care... it is still very a very painful, time consuming, unpleasant, and embarrassing process. But necessary! This care will involve many, many hours each week for the next several weeks. But this is clearly what God has for me right now, and I'm trying to find joy in Him and be thankful in the midst of it.

I am taking summer classes - returned to class today - and I'm hoping that the downtown clinic can accommodate my schedule so that I won't miss class for wound stuff.

Hannah ;)

1 comment:

  1. "Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
    If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
    even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast."
    Psalm 139:7-10
    Praying you are comforted to know that the Lord is with you at all times, though everything you are going through, guiding you and your doctors, giving you strength to endure.

    ReplyDelete