Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Great is Thy Faithfulness!

I'm still up so late because I've been messing with Edgar... unfortunately, the seal on my wound completely busted again. This (3rd today) time, I think I fixed it okay-ish. I think the main problem is my skin. It is very irritated from the tape. I basically have hives everywhere that the tape touches me. After a while, the hives give way to little bubbles, and the skin just peels off. It feels about as good as it sounds. Even if it were in a place where I could politely scratch, haha, it's under tape. They also have to tape a "tracking pad" (a thick line of the foam) up from the wound, across my bottom, to my hip in order to attach the tubing that leads to Edgar. We have to alternate "cheeks" each dressing change because the skin is literally falling off. It's bad enough that the doctor and nurses are considering taking a "vacation" from Edgar (and therefore, this special tape) to give my skin a chance to heal for 2-3 days. Anyways, all's well that ends well, and I think I got everything taped down again so I'll stop dripping wound juice tonight! ;)

Got my wound remeasured on Friday. Again, made the nurses and doctor look good. ;) It's half a cm smaller than last week... not nearly as dramatic as the 3 cm from the previous week, but still very excellent progress! Everyone is thrilled. The doctor said he has a good feeling about how all this is going - quite a change of tune from, "You have so many risk factors - UC, poor nutrition, steroids - that I am not sure that you'll heal well." Every nurse who sees the wound is amazed at how much better it looks compared to when we started. It's still big, but it's not the huge ugly gaping hole that it was. Praise God! By the grace of God, Edgar, our therapy with Prisma (artificial collagen), a smaller piece of foam, and me pounding down the protein every time I eat... it's working!!

On Monday, we added in a wash of a crushed-up antibiotic pill dissolved in water. There's no infection, thankfully, but, there is an ah, olfactory that conjures memories of my microbiology lab. Turns out that bacteria love to hang out in the foam. These aren't bad bacteria - they are the normal bacteria that colonize your skin (and therefore, my wound)- but when it's warm outside... they tend to overgrow. ;) So far, the pill powder is doing the trick!

So... in one of my last posts, I mentioned that I'd be losing Edgar due to insurance. Well... some very determined brothers and sisters decided that shouldn't happen. Not sure how I can possibly thank you, except to tell this little story:

I was talking to a friend last week about the situation, and I just expressed faith that God would provide for my needs. I wasn't really thinking, "God will provide for my needs by allowing me to keep Edgar." I said that He's always given me and my family exactly what we needed at exactly the right time. He can heal me without the woundVAC. He can do whatever He wants. I also mentioned that He tends to do these things in ways I never would have thought of.

So after Sunday's happenings, I called her and said, "Hey, guess what God did?" I was able to explain to her that thanks to the generosity of others, I'm keeping Edgar. She said, "Wow, I really don't know what to say, except that your God is pretty awesome." Isn't He? He provided just as He has promised... and, just like I had said, not at all in the way I thought! And I got to share that with my friend. He is putting Himself and His faithfulness and goodness on display through people like you all. Who knows the impact this will have?

Couple of prayer requests:
  • I have been having more and more abdominal pain and pain in general. I also have had 2 (very painful) obstructions since Sunday. I'm going to see Dr. Saturday tomorrow, because something just isn't right. I am really feeling quite terrible and having lots more pain than normal.
  • Please pray for my skin to heal up and for wisdom for the nurses and doctor for managing the reaction to the special WoundVAC tape.
  • Praise God - I have gained 10 pounds from my lowest weight in March!! This is a very hard-earned victory! I'm back up to where I was in December - not at my healthy weight, but not hovering near double digits anymore!
  • Patt, my friend with Crohn's who I met in the hospital in March, is very ill and discouraged. She spent over 3 months inpatient this spring and had two surgeries. She is facing surgery yet again in the next few weeks. Please pray for encouragement for her soul and healing for her body. It is so devastating to imagine her enduring another surgery and long recovery several states away from home - she comes here from Colorado for treatment.
  • Hollye, a J poucher I also met in the hospital in March, is back in with an obstruction.

"Why do you worry? What possible use does your worrying serve? You are aboard such a large ship that you would be unable to steer even if your Captain placed you at the helm. You would not even be able to adjust the sails, yet you worry as if you were the captain or the helmsman of the vessel. Be quiet, dear soul - God is the Master... Believe this and you will have peace." Charles Spurgeon on Matthew 14:27.

I continue to be completely amazed at God's work... He is so good and so faithful!

Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment