Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

An Open Letter To ConvaTec

Dear ConvaTec,

I am a long-time user of your moldable wafers (Natura Sur-Fit). I really love them – they hold up so well, and I rarely have issues with skin breakdown or leaking (15 months leak-free!). I wear them up to 9 days at a time and can do pretty much anything I want (including swimming and high diving and going down really tall water slides) while wearing them.

One day, I was getting materials ready to change my pouch and wafer. Imagine my surprise as I tried to roll up the lock and roll system on the pouch, only to discover that a Velcro strip was missing! The good news is that I noticed this PRIOR to trying to wear the pouch. That would have been an unforgettable experience.

[Here is a picture of the tails of two pouches. On the right is a normal pouch. You can just barely see the Velcro strip just below the flap. On the left is the defective pouch. The Velcro strip is absent.]

For your amusement, I have enclosed the (unworn) defective pouch.

While I’m on the subject, I would like for you to consider making your opaque pouches actually opaque. They are currently very transparent. Just as I’m sure you prefer to not examine your fecal matter or anus (at least, I assume this to be true), I am not a huge fan of having to look at my ostomy and my own waste any time I change clothes. I know you offer a transparent bag for those ostomates who do enjoy this. I (and many ostomates I know) would welcome a more opaque model with open arms (figuratively speaking).

I heard that you are making new bags which are less plastic and “crinkly” and more cloth-like, which I think will be a great improvement.

Please let me know your thoughts about making the pouches more opaque. I am a 24-year-old with a permanent ileostomy, so I will be utilizing ostomy supplies for (hopefully) many years to come. I truly enjoy using your products and find them to be very durable and comfortable. I would greatly appreciate a more opaque bag, such as is offered by most other ostomy supply companies.

Sincerely,

Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment