Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Shootin' Meth on a Friday Night

A couple weeks ago, I went to the Rheumatologist. She is interesting. She either wants me to go to the hospital or is convinced that I am depressed. Before you get to see the doctor, you have to fill out this loooong questionnaire about your pain levels, functional ability, energy level, etc. It is a bit of a downer to write all that stuff down! I am admittedly an unhappy camper by the end of filling that form out, so that's probably why she thinks I'm blue!

Anyways, for the past year, they have been unable to do much to treat my arthritis. I had a chronic infection in my belly, and it's not so smart to suppress the immune system when it's fighting an infection. Finally now, however, we have not one, but TWO MRIs that clearly demonstrate no infection! Praise God. I still have a mildly elevated white count and intermittent low-grade fevers. I had a really bad time with my joints last week (the weather didn't help!), too.

So we decided to start a low dose of methotrexate, a chemo drug, once a week. It's used a lot in rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. It's supposed to knock down your immune system enough that it quits attacking you -- ideally without lowering your immune system enough to really hurt you too badly. She did also offer me antidepressants and told me that the methotrexate won't help my fatigue if it's fatigue caused by depression. Lol. No comment.

It should start helping with all the autoimmune inflammation in my joints and muscles. If my wound is not healing because of autoimmune stuff, this hopefully will help that, too!

So... I load up my little syringe and shoot up some meth each Friday night. Here's my shady supplies:



It really looks like yellow snake venom, doesn't it? Yummy. ;) Whenever I'm in the hospital, my mom always brings fun bandaids for all the times I get poked. It's tradition. Rainbow tie-dye and Snoopy bandaids have been my favorites. Thankfully, I found more of the infamous Snoopy bandaids! Yes! Methotrexate can cause nausea, vomiting, mouth sores, headache, hair loss, etc. I was told to expect to feel rotten the day after the shot. Last week, I had a bit of a headache, but that was it. Hoping that this will put my body back on track.


Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment