Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Catching Up...

Hello, hello! Um, I feel as though I need to reintroduce myself, since I've taken such a long break from blogging. I have actually written a couple posts - I'd compose them, then as I went to publish, my computer would disconnect from the web browser. I'd get frustrated and go do something else, forgetting to go back and re-edit and post. Yeah, I really have problems focusing when I... um, hey, where was I? So anyways, I'm back! ;)

The other thing is that I don't really have anything new to say. I still have chronic autoimmune illness (surprise, surprise!), and my wound still hasn't healed. I made some progress for a few weeks, but now I'm plateauing again. Dr. Saturday cauterized (chemically burning to promote healing) of the wound on several occasions. After a few rounds of this, and a possibly overzealous cauterization by Misinformation, I told him I thought I could cauterize myself at home every three days. That way, I could make the long trek to the hospital every other week, instead of the semi-weekly visits he envisioned.

So now I get to cauterize my own perineal wound. Some of you may be wondering how I am able to cauterize a wound that lies deep in the crags of my tush. It's sort of a contortionistic/circus performer sort of event involving a full length mirror as I lie twisted on the floor looking somewhat like a puppy chasing his own tail. Note: this is not a picture of me. I actually lay on my side. And I'm brunette.

I cauterize the wound with silver nitrate sticks, which look like matches on long sticks - here's a pic I got off google images. If you wanna buy some for home use, click here. I'm sure they will come in handy for all your unwanted granulation tissue personal hygiene needs.

So, now that I've added "Cauterize my own wound resulting from a surgery to remove my anus" to the list of unlikely truths I can use the next time I play "Two Truths and a Lie," I spend my free time wondering what I'm going to do with all the free time I'll have when I don't spend time each day caring for an awkwardly-placed wound.

I had a bit of drama with my belly for about two weeks, culminating in pretty severe pain on Saturday night through Sunday. It felt like my UC was coming back or something, and that combined with a partial blockage on Saturday into Sunday made me strongly consider going to the ER. On Monday morning, I discovered, after washing it, that my beloved purple water bottle was slimy inside... gross. Hmm... I scoured it with salt, baking soda, scrubbed it out with an old toothbrush, let it soak in hot soapy water for hours, then, when it was no longer slimy... threw it away. No, I jest, not even slime could cleave my fingers from my precious water bottle, so after a period of quarantine, I'll be using it again. But I will implement a daily scrub, because apparently the washing I'd been giving it wasn't good enough. Surprisingly, after 24 hours Slimy Water Bottle free, I was free from the crampy pain in my belly. Boy, did I feel awfully dumb. But awfully relieved.

My joints are overall so much better since starting the Meth. I've done 7 injections so far. My lab work is coming back spot-on perfect, and my white count is the lowest it's been since I got sick, which is FANTASTIC! No more fevers, less inflammation. I struggle with the joints in the mornings and evenings, but in the middle, it's pretty good. I still have really bad muscle pain that goes up and down, but I have lots of meds to keep me comfortable, mostly. I had come completely off my sleeping medicine beginning in August, but my pain increased to the point that I need to take it in order to actually sleep through the pain.

I am cutting back an eighth of a pill of steroids every other day. I'm on day 10 now, and I have to say I'm feeling very tired. I want to give it at the very least 3 weeks try, so we'll see how that goes!

I continue to spend inordinate amounts of time sorting through insurance papers and speaking with billing offices and insurance customer service people who can't pronounce my last name, much less explain my bill or policy to me, and generally trying to get people to do what they should have done in the first place. It's all a part of living in a fallen world, I guess! I constantly have to remind myself to be gracious, and to remember that the person I'm speaking to isn't usually the one who made the mistake I'm trying to get corrected. God is showing me that I am an impatient, angry person. I continually need His help, must be reminded of His grace, and quickly ask for His forgiveness.

Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment