Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Closer

So... I went to see Dr. Saturday yesterday. He examined my wound and started making noises like "hmm" and "interesting." Not being able to see his facial expression (or the wound...), I wasn't sure what this meant. Finally, he looked up.

"Well, that looks at least 50% better, if not more."

Beautiful words. My wound is finally healing. Surgery to close the wound is off the table.

Again, he believes that it's more than coincidence that my wound started to improve two weeks after increasing  my methotrexate. It's suppressing my immune system (and therefore my IBD) enough that my wound can heal. Unfortunately, I'm nursing my fourth cold in two months (I hadn't had a cold for over three years prior to starting the meth shots!), but it is a small price to pay for avoiding another surgery that might or might not work. Plus, it helps my arthritis.

Dr. Saturday looked me in the eye and said, "Wow. This has been SUCH a struggle. You have been through so much."

I told him that he didn't know the half of it, that he is my relief pitcher who came in in the ninth inning. He laughed hard. When I recounted this to my dad, he commented that I should have said he was my ace closer. ;)

I don't even have words to express how thankful and happy I am that my wound is improving. I did mention  to Dr. Saturday that he told me that the healing process would take something like 3-6 weeks. "Well, with you, we should have known better," he commented, "Of course your body does things its own way." Ain't that the truth. ;) Well, whatever it's taken, I'm glad that, as my wound care nurse commented so many months ago, hopefully I'm getting to the tail end of my problems.

Hannah ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hallelujah!! Praise God for His grace in allowing your wound to finally start healing. Your sense of humor through all of this is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you, how amazing you must feel with this good news. The way you have handled this and everything else is inspiring. You make me want to be a better person through God. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete