Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Glory Through Weakness

I continue to have an open wound... it is not really changing much, which is frustrating. I cauterized it the other day, and my skin had a weird reaction. I only touch the silver nitrate sticks, used for cauterization, to the wound. It never touches the skin surrounding the wound. So I was rather shocked to find that the skin in an "O" around the wound decided to slough completely off, leaving me with more raw spots. Yeah.

This actually happened a month or two ago after Misinformation cauterized the wound. This led to an extra trip to Dr. Saturday to assess the damages. I assumed she had done something wrong... but I guess not. The silver nitrate is not harmful to healthy skin - Dr. Saturday rubbed a stick on his bare arm to demonstrate. So we really have NO clue why this happened. Very weird.

I have sort of decided to give the wound til the end of February to heal... then if it's still not better, I will look more seriously to the surgical options. Trouble is, we don't know if the surgery would "take" since it's believed that my body is basically attacking the wound area. We shall see if the increased meth helps calm down my body so I can heal. My joints are doing A LOT better, praise God! Still having more pain than I'd like, but it's a whole lot better than it was last week, so I think this flare is on its way out, thankfully!!


Having sort of embarrassing issues like an open wound on a, um, sensitive area, joints that don't work right, and a body that tires easily does two things for me. First, it reminds me that this world is not my home, and that this body is a temporary house for my soul. Second, it keeps me humble... I have no delusions that I am a great, grand, important, amazing person. I'm reminded of I Corinthians 1:26-29. Paul says, "For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things to the world to shame the things which are strong...that no man should boast before God."

Paul says it in a similar way in II Corinthians 4:7 - "But we have this treasure [the gospel - the light that comes from having a right relationship with God] in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power may be from God and not from ourselves." He calls our bodies "earthen vessels" - jars of clay - something totally ordinary and humble. So God uses something kind of boring and unimportant to do something great - so that the outcome is clearly from Him, not the chamber pot. ;)

God didn't call too many brilliant, important people to be His children. When He uses the weak and foolish to accomplish His work, it's obvious that their "power" isn't from themselves - it is GOD working through (or in spite) of them. And so He is more greatly glorified in my weak, scarred, battered body, because it's apparent that I am nothing special - but He who is at work in me is. I can't take the credit for what happens in or through my life. There is no room for me to boast about my strength - I have none! But I can boast in a couple things: in the Lord, and in my weaknesses.

"But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, and righteousness, and sanctification,and redemption, that, just as it is written, "Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord."" (I Corinthians 1:30-31)

"He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." I will rather boast about my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties for Christ's sake, for when I am weak, then I am strong." (II Corinthians 12:9-10)

What an amazing God, who would choose to show His great love to us, His foolish, weak children, and then USE us, His earthen vessels, in great ways to His glory. How is He using YOUR weaknesses for His glory right now?

Hannah ;)

4 comments:

  1. This is a great question and I wish I knew what to say but I don't understand how he is using me. But I feel pleased that even my weaknesses can lead me to God's glory. All I know is God has a greater plan for my life than I can understand, and at times this causes pain, frustration and tears but I believe and trust that God knows best.
    I believe even your stubborn would will heal. Luke 1:37 For nothing is impossible with God. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a good point... a lot of the examples of people in the Bible NEVER KNEW how God was using them... (Job and the prophets come to mind). But you're right - even if we don't see our impact, we still take comfort in entrusting our weaknesses to a good God who is in control!
    God is using your life, Laura!
    Hannah ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah,
    You don't know me, but my name is Sandy. I found your blog (and UC it's so long colon!) last summer after my GI started talking to me about surgery as a realistic option. Now, as I am preparing to meet with a surgeon to talk with getting rid of my UC for good, I am thankful even more for you honest, Christ centered blogging. You have been a blessing to me.
    A very wise professor was once talking to me about the passage in 2 Corinthians. He told me how the Greek (or Hebrew, I get them confused) translation can also be said as "my favor is enough for you to be content." I often remind myself of this in times when I just want to feel Content with life. His grace is sufficient. Be Content with His favor.
    God is using you. As one of the many followers of your blog who you don't know about, I can tell you that God is using you. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I just get shivers up my spine reading your words. I love that - be content with His favor. Reminds me of Philippians 4, where Paul talks about learning to be content in any circumstance through Him who strengthens him. I'll be praying for your upcoming appointment!
    Hannah ;)

    ReplyDelete