Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lab Adventure

So after the adventure that was the Rheumatology appointment (which left me thinking that one of my new criteria when choosing a doctor will be the location of the patient parking), I continued to hurt worse and worse. The Rheum PA wanted me to go get labs done (which I refuse to do at her office anymore after getting hit with a bill for $522 for a routine blood test. The insurance ignored 98% of the bill, but still, that's completely ridiculous, so on principle, I boycott their lab), so I went to my PCP's office to get the labs drawn. I actually made my mom drive me (and those of you who know me, know I was feeling pretty low to ask someone else to take me). They called me back, and I sat in the chair while the lab lady started trying to figure out the orders. The lab lady and I are tight; she draws my blood about once a month. I started feeling super lightheaded from pain, and she said, "You don't look good." I told her I was really hurting. She went back to ask someone a question about my lab orders. Another nurse walked by and said, "You don't look good. Are you okay?" I said I was really hurting. She thought I was getting woozy from having blood drawn, but they hadn't gotten close to me with a needle yet, and I inject myself weekly. I'm not scared of needles. The lab lady came back, and I told her I was not okay. I was hurting so badly that the world seemed like it was pulsing in time with my heart. She quickly drew the labs, then they had to lay me down in an empty room. I was gray and incoherent. It was super embarrassing. They got my mom and everything. I had eaten (quite a lot for me, actually), and my adrenal stuff was okay, so this was a pain thing, not low blood sugar or steroid issues. Once I was able to piece thoughts together well enough to get some words out (my brain was just thinking "OW!" for a while there), my mom got me some water and I took some pain medicine. I told my mom that if the pain meds didn't work, I would probably need to go to the hospital.

Thankfully, God allowed me to avoid the hospital. I've been seeing a chiropractor several times a month since April 2010, and 3x/week since November. It hasn't made a difference, so I recently switched to a new chiropractor. He had seen me Friday morning, but I called him and said, "I'm probably heading to the ER. By chance, might you be able to help?" He let me come back in and he adjusted me again and worked some of the knots out of my shoulders. I dunno if it was him or the drugs or a combo, but no hospital was needed. I stayed very stoned on the couch wrapped in a blanket for the rest of the day. ;P

After bottoming out on Friday, I started inching my way back to "normal." Each day has been a little less painful than the previous, but unfortunately, after a few months of remission, my joints have decided to really flare up. The "morning stiffness" lasts all day.

My wound, however, is doing fantastic. It is almost back to where it was before it split open!! Yay! I can't wait for it to be all gone and better.

Also, I want to do a shout-out to the newest card-holder in the "Colon-free Club:" Sandy! Sandy had her surgery last Tuesday! Pray all went well and you are on the road to better health! Also praying that your adjustment to having an ileostomy goes well!

Hannah ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you boycott things..it makes me laugh :) I need to call you!!!!

    ReplyDelete