Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Plot Twist

So... the CT scan showed a new abscess.

Yeah, a new abscess.

It's in the area where I had this last surgery, in my left lower pelvis. It's too deep to be able to drain with a big needle (like they did back in 2010 and like they were considering doing to the grapefruit-sized infection I just had removed).

Also, my white count had been creeping up over the last few days, culminating in a very high count on Friday. And I started having night sweats and running low grade fevers. And my muscle pain has flared up.

I can't believe that I have another abscess. I just don't even have any idea what to think. My mind is kind of blown. This was a plot twist I didn't anticipate.

Dr. Opposite said it's possible that it's just fluid collecting from the surgery... but with the spike in my overall pain, the elevated white count, and the low-grade fever, it feels like "same song, 5th verse," since this is always how I present with an abscess.

Just to be on the safe side, they pulled out my PICC line, as it can be a source of infection. Apparently that's why they stopped the TPN - it can't be given through a small peripheral IV. Also, the main medication that keeps my nausea under control can't be given through an IV as small as the one I have now - the medication is extremely damaging to tissue, and they don't want me to lose an arm! The med is available in a pill form, but it takes over an hour to kick in (and I personally think that whoever invented nausea medicine in pill form has never been nauseated). So, I can't get IV nutrition, but I am not getting as good nausea control either. That's been a struggle, but I've been working very hard at eating a little bit more every day. Thankfully, my stomach is definitely absorbing now!

They had turned down my IV fluids a lot since Friday, and my POTS definitely noticed that - my heart rates jumped up and I've been shaky. The nausea makes it hard to hydrate myself.

Anyways, my veins are sooo shot, so it was a challenge to get the new little IV in, and it lasted all of 12 hours before it blew. I woke up in the middle of the night with my left arm looking like Popeye's!



A super-star IV starting nurse came up from another floor at 3 am and dug around for awhile before landing a new spot in the other arm. It's been tenuous at best, but has done its duty for the most part. Tomorrow morning, I'm getting another PICC, which will be great.
Dr. Opposite said I need a minimum of 10 days of antibiotics, but he said that all 10 days do not necessarily have to be in the hospital or even IV. 

I am not sure how much longer I'll be in the hospital... at this point, I think I am very close to being okay at home. I just need to be eating and drinking a little better, and the infection needs to be on its way out. I am concerned about this new abscess dragging on forever like the other ones. Living for months with this low level infection brewing and feeling crummy until finally I can't stand it anymore and I have another surgery. Please pray that God will make it very clear how we should treat this abscess. I would love nothing more than to have this "fixed" once and for all and be able to "move on" a little bit... but not my will, but God's be done.

Even though this is a plot twist to me, this was not at all unexpected to God. He knew this would happen, and He allowed it to happen, so I know that this abscess is His best for me and that He will use it to bring glory to Himself somewhere... glory from a pocket of infection. ;P What a cool God who can turn something gross into His glory.

Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment