Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Update!

Sorry to be so late updating! Surgery went well, as my mom so aptly reported!

Dr. Saturday and Dr. Professor both told me that they don't know what that large cyst really WAS or WHY it was there... but they both emphasized that it was larger than a softball (!!) and very entangled with my left ovary, fallopian tube, and "stuck" in my pelvis along the area where my abscesses were. They hope that what they removed will fix the drainage, intermittent pain, elevated white count and fevers. They are hopeful that the pathology will give them more information about the cyst!

I am just SO thankful. God has brought me through yet another big surgery. My biggest fear was the terrible uncontrolled pain that I experienced after my first and second surgeries. My anesthesiologists and surgeons and nurses have been so fantastic in working to make sure that my pain stays under control. And  it has not even been an issue. For the first two days, I was sore and a little swollen, but not really in much pain, which is AMAZING if you consider that I just had major abdominal surgery with a big incision! God is so good!

Another big issue for me after surgery is terrible nausea and dry heaving that can last for hours and come back for days. Thankfully, that has not been an issue this time, either! Wow!

I've been a good patient - taking lots of walks and getting in and out of bed. I can't believe how mobile I've been able to be from the get-go with this surgery. Again, God is good.

The third day is traditionally the hardest for me after surgeries, and sure enough, today was a bit tougher. I go back to my "normal" dose of steroids (I take stress doses when I have a surgery), which makes me tired for a few days. I also hit a peak of swelling... My "outie" belly button is now an "innie." I got to start drinking today, but I think it was too much too soon, so I have to slow down tomorrow.

Dr. Saturday came by tonight and decided that, instead of progressing, we should make no changes in anything tomorrow. A little frustrating, since I just want to get tubes out and go home... but I know in my heart that he's right. Let's just do this recovery stuff once, and get it right the first time, even if it feels like it's taking forever. ;) He knows that my body does things its own way, and I'm thankful that he prefers to listen to my body instead of pushing it!

I remain incredibly thankful for how amazingly well God allowed the surgery to go - that they removed what they think was the problem, didn't have to take out too much other important stuff, that my pain has been so well-controlled, that my body has responded well to the surgery, for the incredible staff here, for my family's continuous support, the encouragement of dear friends... I am such a blessed girl!

With that being said... there's one other thing you can do for me! On Saturday, I'm supposed to walk at the Take Steps walk for the CCFA (Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America) to raise money supporting research and support for patients who, like me, suffer from Inflammatory Bowel Disease.  Although I doubt I'll be able to walk a 5K by Saturday, I plan to be at the Walk... even if I have to go on a 3 hour pass from the hospital with a PICC line sticking out of my arm! Why? Because this cause is that important! Something needs to be done so that the kids born today don't have to suffer like me - so that they don't have to go through innumerable treatments and abdominal surgeries for a chronic, incurable autoimmune disease... Show your support by coming out to walk, or by donating! Just a $5 or $10 donation makes a difference!

Hannah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment