Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Amusement

Sorry I have been so lax about posting. I'm having some dark times and depressing moments as the doctors are really at a loss for what's going on with me. They doubt that there's much they can do for me, either. Anyways, it's not so fun to post about that kind of stuff, so I just didn't post for awhile.

Today I thought I'd share two vignettes of hospital life.

A few weekends ago, when my white count began to elevate, the doctors decided it would be wise to remove my PICC line (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter - a special IV that is threaded from your arm into your heart). It is a foreign object in your body, so it can carry infection. They pulled it out, and I had to make do with peripheral IVs for a few days.

After those few days, two people from the IV team came to place a new PICC. The nurse decided to place the PICC in my left arm - which is a first for me. My other 5 PICCs have been in my right arm. I mentioned how she didn't really numb me that much, and that it took her two tries and some digging to successfully place the line.

After a few days, I began to notice a rainbow effect on my arm.



And then, I was riding in the elevator with a nurse. She recognized me and asked how I was doing. My standard reply to that is: "I'm still here." ;) She asked how my line was. I showed her my arm. She reminded me that SHE was assisting with the placement - it was the OTHER nurse who did the actual incision.

She remarked that the bruising wasn't actually from the line placement. She said that it bruised because she used numbing medicine prior to placing the line. I might believe that... except that I've had 6 PICC lines, and this was the first time I've ever achieved this techniciolor result!

How do I pass the time? I am constantly busy responding to texts, emails, Facebook messages, keeping up with Bahlor, visiting with my guests, talking to doctors, techs, nurses, transport people... and taking medicines.

I have been saving the little cups they use to distribute pills. After four and a half weeks, here's just SOME (not even half) of the cups I've collected. I like that you can see the skyline in the background.



I have yet to get bored here in the hospital! God is good.

Hannah ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh Hannah, it makes me so sad to hear you are suffering. You are so brave, strong and courageous and I am grateful to know you. On a daily devotional I read it talked today about trusting God through difficult trials. Luke 22:43 "Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering from me. Yet I want your will be done, not mine." I pray that he takes away your suffering Hannah, keep strong x

    ReplyDelete